#HAWMC day 18: right on schedule

As a journalist and editor, I don’t really have a typical day; I might copy edit or write one day, paginate and proof the next, and go out in the field and do interviews the next. But, I guess I could write down what my schedule looks like for this week.

7:04 a.m.: Alarm goes off. I hit the snooze button in nine-minute intervals until about 7:30.
7:31 a.m.: Shower time. It’s slow going, and I have a lot to do: hot oil treatment, shampoo, exfoliate my face, cleanse my face, condition, exfoliate the rest of me, shave.
8:03 a.m.: Breakfast time. Today I had a bowl of corn Chex, a banana and a mug of Lady Grey tea with honey. I surf the Web until about 8:30.
8:29 a.m.: Time to get pretty. I blow-dry and flat-iron my hair, brush my teeth, moisturize my face and body, put my make-up on.
9:05 a.m.: Time to get dressed. I had the worst time deciding what to wear this morning. Since I had a meeting tonight, I had to look extra professional. I eventually decided to go with wide-legged trousers, nude shell and a belted cardigan. (In case you cared.)
10:15 a.m.: First meeting of the day. I’m on my feet for way longer than expected—until about 10:45. It was a relief to get into my car and drive to my next appointment.
11:05 a.m.: Second meeting of the day. More sitting. Much better.
11:37 a.m.: Back at the office. I start going through the 300-plus emails I got over the weekend. Sigh.
12:04 p.m.: Lunchtime. I have some baked ziti with spinach the Professor made last week. I type up what came out of my first two meetings while I eat.
1 p.m.: Coffee break! My reporter and I walk down to the coffee shop, where we get entrenched in a 20-minute conversation about pie. (Seriously. It was awesome.)
1:22 p.m.: We head down to the local cafe to get a delicious cookie.
1:38 p.m.: Back at the office. I start fixing 20 photos from my Sunday event in CMYK and greyscale for the paper, since I don’t know how much colour will have at this point.
2:45 p.m.: Finally done with pictures. I start on stuff for our market-coverage freebie that gets sent to all the homes in our area.
3 p.m.: Get done with everything I can do until the reporter gets back from her meeting and gets me a story. I start putting the community calendar together, culling past events and adding new ones.
3:45 p.m.: Reporter gets me the story. I tell her it needs a graphic element, so she gets me the info I need for it. I futz around until I get a graphic I think I like. I put the four-page extra together.
4:45 p.m.: After printing out the proofs, I realise I hate the graphic. It’s too big. I make it smaller.
5:30 p.m.: Extra proofed, PDF’d and sent. I make my dinner—a peanut butter sandwich. Yum.
5:34 p.m.: I decide to work on the photo page for the weekly paper using those 20 photos I Photoshopped earlier. I use six of them.
6:42 p.m.: I head over to my school board meeting. There’s no parking, so I park in a nearby church and walk.
7:01 p.m.: The meeting starts. Throughout, I take notes on my laptop and write 1.5 stories for the weekly.
9:03 p.m.: Meeting’s out. Now, I drive 30 minutes home.
9:32 p.m.: Home. The Professor and I watch two episodes of “That 70s Show.”
10:24 p.m.: The Professor and I take the dog for a walk.
11 p.m.: We’re home. He settles down to play a video game, and I finish up some work.
12 a.m.: Bed time.

6 a.m.: Wake up. Wash face, brush teeth, make up, dress.
7 a.m.: Out the door. Drive 30 minutes to first appointment.
7:35 a.m.: Interview with student and her mom.
8 a.m.: In the office. Finish writing the story with the student/mom interview and write up the meeting from last night.
9 a.m.: Print out three stories that haven’t been proofed to copy edit. Reporter arrives.
9:15 a.m.: Proof reporter’s stories.
9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.: Paginate newspaper.
6 to 7 p.m.: Proof pages.
7 to 7:30 p.m.: PDF pages, proof them one more time and send them to the press.
8 p.m.: Home.
8:04 p.m.: Walk the dog with the Professor.
9:12 p.m.: Home again. Watch a bit of TV or read a bit before getting ready for bed.
10 p.m.: Bed.

7:17 a.m.: Wake up. Shower. Blow dry and flat iron hair. Eat breakfast. Brush teeth. Make up. Get dressed.
8:30 a.m.: Off to work.
9 a.m.: At work. Check emails that I ignored Monday and Tuesday.
9:30 a.m.: Put up the eEdition of the paper.
9:47 a.m.: Put up the website and get later updates ready to go.
10:14 a.m.: Sigh of relief that busiest part of week is over.
10:15 a.m.: Talk with reporter about what we’ve got going on for the week. Assign stories as needed.
10:40 a.m.: Look at what other newspapers had. Curse if we’ve been scooped. Laugh maniacally if we scooped them.
11:40 a.m.: Go over the other newspapers in the company with reporter. Point out good and bad design. Eat lunch while doing it.
noon to 1 p.m.: Cover the office while office manager is out. Help customers. Take ads. Etc.
1 p.m.: Lay out monthly publication.
4 p.m.: Proof, PDF, send to press.
5 p.m.: Quitting time!
Then, I’m meeting a friend for (vegetarian) sushi! Yum.

This Thursday, I’m taking the morning off because of how much I worked Monday and Tuesday. In the afternoon, I’ll write and I’ve got an event to cover.

It’s Good Friday! I’ll go to church, and then we’re heading to my parents’ house.

There’s not a lot of time in there for self-care, but on days I feel bad, I try to make time for myself. On the weekends, I usually take it easy, though I do cover weekend events, too. It’s a busy life I chose, and it’s often not compatible with taking good care of myself. But I love it, and that keeps me going.


2 thoughts on “#HAWMC day 18: right on schedule

Fire back:

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s